Monday, August 16, 2010

The Seattle area is in the throes of a heat wave! It actually has broken records! For those of you not in 'the know', it rarely gets above 80 in the summer and this weekend it has done so! I, although, was stuck in a car with 4 boys and no air conditioning! But if you want to know where any and all DMV's that are open on Saturdays, I'm your gal!

We did make it to the lake though and had a good time swimming. But what I wouldn't give for a nice sandy beach where you don't have to wear shoes and worry about how much duck poop is in the water! I lost my flip-flops twice and I swear something reached for me out of the depths of the green mossy lake bottom! But it cooled us off and we had a fabulous chicken dinner and a great weekend!

I am in the process of getting ready for my mother-in-law. She is coming on Tuesday and I am really looking forward to it. She doesn't speak a lick of English but can make a full meal for 6 out of a red pepper, some rice and a 4 ounce piece of beef! Love that little woman. My husband is a middle child in a family of 12 living children (his mother was with child 22 times), and she is probably the strongest woman I know! No joke! But she at times refuses to bend to social norms, or rather American social norms! For example, I came home from work one day and she had washed her underwear and had hung them up on the bushes outside for all to see!! I just had to smile and give her a big sloppy kiss! In hot weather she goes around with a hand towel on her head, I understand, it keeps her in the shade! She has lived a full life and has always worked hard, so she deserves it!

My husbands interactions with his family are so different from mine. They tell each other what they think without factoring in feelings and at times it can get pretty dicey! But they have each others back all the time! True devotion!

No comments:

Post a Comment